Sunday, July 29, 2007

"Get Used to Disappointment"

The above quote is from one of my favorite movies. If you can't figure it out I'm not going to tell you! Again, get used to disappointment!!!

It has been coming to mind a lot in the last few weeks as unplanned, unexpected things in my life and the lives of those around me have forced me to evaluate just how little control we have over so many issues in life. A beloved student committed suicide, my uncle had a pretty major health scare, and I found out I will be dateless at my sister's wedding this Friday. I'm a bit of a control freak, and coming to terms with not getting what I want is never easy for me. Instead of giving up control, I play the blame game and ask a lot of questions. I think things would be a whole lot easier for me if I just remembered that don't write the story of life.

Next time you want to pick up the pen and start jotting down the next scene in life, remember that someone with a much bigger and grander plotline is in charge, and if you just keep on playing your part, He may surprise you with an unexpected ending. It doesn't mean there won't be a few tears along the way, but at least you know that you're not going it alone.

1 comment:

AmmannFamily said...

I feel that all the time! I have such high expectations for things and I am so type A that I plan every detail out in my head. Then, it never works out that way and I get upset! Trust me, you are not alone...I probably cry a few times a month for stuff like that. In the end, I keep telling myself that I can't control it and it comes down to me giving up the control to Him. You'd think we catch on faster! I have to learn this lesson a few times a month (or per week!) I hope you are doing okay! We have to talk HP soon. :)